Arthritis is a joint disorder that involves inflammation of joints. There are over 100 types of arthritis. The most common is osteoarthritis also known as degenerative joint disease. It can occur due to trauma to the joint, infection of the joint, or age. Other arthritis forms include rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and related autoimmune diseases.The main symptom of arthritis is joint pain. This joint pain is a constant and can be localized to the affected joint. Arthritis pain is caused by the inflammation that is around the joint, and damage to the joint from disease.
Surgical Treatment For Arthritis
If symptoms persist beyond the extensive use of nonsurgical treatments or disability from arthritis is eminent, your doctor may recommend surgery.
Dr.Thadi Mohan is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience. He has a prosperous orthopaedic clinical practice in Kerala, India with patients consulting him from more than 20 countries worldwide. He is known to thousands of patients as a dedicated and energetic orthopaedic doctor. He is the best orthopaedic doctor for Arthritis treatment in kerala
- Arthroscopy – Utilizing a small camera, a minimal incision is made by the surgeon to repair damage to the meniscus that may have aggravated or intensified arthritis pain.
- Cartilage grafting – If the portion of cartilage damaged is small, grafting will be the best surgical option. Healthy cartilage taken from either a tissue bank or from the knee itself to repair the hole in the cartilage.
- Synovectomy – In cases of inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis, the affected joint lining is surgically removed.
- Osteotomy – This procedure addresses the pressure caused by the position of the knee bones due to thinned cartilage. The tibia or femur is cut into a shape that will prevent further joint damage.
- Total or partial knee replacement – With the goal of joint functionality, the surgeon inserts a plastic or metal joint prosthesis to replace the damaged cartilage and bone that has been removed.